Saturday, June 18, 2011

Reason #12 - He Allows Us to Hunger

One of the "reasons" that I thought of right away to do a blog post on was that my Lord fills me. He feeds me. He satisfies me. Those are no-brainers, right? :) Often one of the first things that new Christians experience is the incredible satisfaction that Christ brings to their lives...a satisfaction and fulfillment that nowhere near compares to anything they ever experienced before! But I'm saving all those reasons for another day and other posts all their own. :)

My reason #12 is in direct opposition - and yet perfect harmony - to all these I just mentioned!

Have we ever realized that not only does He feed us and satisfy us, but He also allows us to hunger? Does it seem like a paradox that the God Who fills us also would empty us? Listen to this story:

The Isralites are preparing to go into the Promised Land to possess it and claim it as their own. They have been in the land of Egypt, seen the mighty Hand of God work unexplainable miracles. They have experienced His power to save them from Pharaoh's oppressive tyranny and utterly humble his "unconquerable" army. They have wandered for 40 years in a barren wilderness, gone through pain, sickness, sorrow, want, darkness, and death. And they have come out victors.

But through their own strength? Through their own wisdom?

Moses pleads with the Isralites "Don't forget!! Don't forget what God has done for you. Don't forget your incredible heritage, and your incredible history. Don't forget God's awesome works and eternal mercy. Don't forget!!

And one of the things he asks them to remember is this: "And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger..." (Deuteronomy 8:3)

Why?

The answer is found later in the verse: (I'm skipping over some of the verse because that will be my next "reason"! :) )
"...that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live."

And what a precious lesson this is to learn! What is life, if we are not being fed daily with the Word of God? Will we not spiritually die if we fail to nourish our souls on His Word?

He allows us to hunger.

I read about a pastor who knew of many Christian women who were married to non-Christian husbands. He decided to begin praying this verse over each of the men.

"Lord, make them hungry. Give them a ravenous hunger for You."

And every one of those men came to know the Lord as their Savior.

I am thankful for a God Who provides for the needs of His people. Whether it is to feed them...or to make them hungry.

I love my Lord, because He allows us to hunger.


1 comment:

  1. That is an interesting thought! Thanks for sharing, Kate! :)

    In Him,
    Karissa :)

    ReplyDelete