Friday, March 25, 2011

Reason #3 - He is My Portion


Psalm 16:5 - "The Lord is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup; thou (God) maintainest my lot."

Psalm 73:25-26 - "Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire besides thee. My flesh and my heart faileth, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

I have often wondered what it means to say that God is my portion. It's all over the Psalms, and in other Old Testament books as well. What is God talking about?

Just recently, I read in Psalm 17:14 - "Deliver me from men of the world, which have their portion in this life." Changing out the word "portion" for "inheritance", I immediately had a "light bulb" moment! (which fyi can be rare in the world of Kate! :) )

When my grandpa died, each of his children got a part of his possessions. This was their portion. The Hebrew word for portion means allotment. It's what they have saved up for themselves when everything is said and done. It's their inheritance.

For the non-Christian or the carnal Christian, their portion is whatever cheap earthly treasures they can gather around them during the few days on earth we call a lifetime.

For me, as a Christian seeking the Lord, what is my portion? And here is what gave me goosebumps...
It's God.

Yes, heaven is our portion, and yes, joy and peace and contentment all are as well. But it's even bigger than that. Everything that God is - everything that He encompasses - is our inheritance. God Himself is our portion!

Have you ever read in the Old Testament, (many times in Leviticus and Deuteronomy) how God gave special "portions" (rewards) to each of the tribes of Israel? It usually entailed a large piece of land that they could call their own. But then God would always say:

"but Levi doesn't get____ (what the others tribes received)...because I the Lord am their inheritance." (paraphrased)

And I hate to admit this, but I always thought "No fair for them!! I bet they were bummed about that!"

Now God is showing me...NO WAY!!! To have the Lord Himself as my inheritance - what better thing?? It's incredible to think about! And what's even more incredible is that what God promised to the royal priesthood - He promises now to us as His children!

He is our inheritance - all we want, and all we need.

I love the Lord because He is my portion.

1 comment:

  1. Another very thought provoking, and very encouraging post! I'm SO glad God is my portion...the more I see of the world, the more I'm reminded that nothing else can compare.

    ReplyDelete